Subject to change. Last modified 2.23.2015

General Admissions

  • When are the deadlines for applications? When do classes start?  Please view the Admissions page on our website for up-to-date admissions deadlines. For Fall semester, classes begin in late August. For Spring semester, classes begin in early January. All application materials and test scores must be received by the admission deadline. Any extension of the application deadline will appear on the website.
  • When will I know if I have been accepted? The Committee will notify you of its decision within six weeks of the admission deadline.
  • How do I get started? Review the admission requirements, application instructions and frequently asked questions, and then apply online. The essay requested can be typed into the application itself and submitted online, or you may prefer to type "Essay to be mailed," and send it to us separately.
  • I am already an RN. Do you have a program for me to complete my bachelor's degree? We offer an RN to BSN online degree program for current RNs to complete the Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Please view the RN to BSN Program information under "RN to BSN." The questions in this document apply only to the traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
  • If I have my bachelor's degree, do you still need my high school transcript? Yes, all applicants to the traditional BSN program are required to provide their high school transcript (even if you have a master’s degree).
  • I have been out of school for 20 years. Do I still need to provide my high school transcript? Yes. All applicants are required to provide us with their high school transcript, GED documents or a letter of attestation in lieu of high school diploma. Contact the Admissions Office for a letter of attestation if there is no possible way to obtain a high school transcript. (804) 627-5339.


SAT, ACT or TEAS exam:  

  • What is the TEAS test? The TEAS test is a 4 hour test that is similar to the SAT. There are 4 parts to the test: math, science, reading and English. 
  • Does every applicant need to submit SAT, ACT or TEAS scores, even if he or she has a bachelor’s or master’s degree? If an applicant has earned a U.S. (or equivalent) bachelor's degree or higher, he or she is not required to submit entrance exam results as part of the application process.
  • How do I study for the TEAS test? You may order a TEAS study manual from the ATI website (www.atitesting.com).
  • I recently took the TEAS test at another school; can I use the results of that testt? Yes, please send your results if they are less than 3 year old from the date you apply with us, you do not need to re-take the TEAS unless you would like to improve your score.


Transfer Credit

  • How can I find out which college classes (taken previously) will transfer? The final decision regarding awarding transfer credit is made by our Registrar. The Registrar reviews transcripts after the applicant has been accepted. Our transfer credit policy permits us to award transfer credit for courses that are comparable to ours, taken at an accredited college or university, in which the student earns a “C” or higher. View our convenient Transfer Credit Guide at the link below:
    Courses from Virginia Institutions that are acceptable for transfer credit
  • I have already taken most of my general education courses. How quickly can I finish?  The program will take 6 academic semesters or more to complete, regardless of the number of transfer credits awarded.


Clinicals and Evening Classes

  • Do you have an evening program? Courses & clinical classes will be offered during the day; some courses will also be offered in the late afternoon. Each course and clinical will not be offered at all possible times each semester, however, so for students who cannot attend morning classes, the program may take longer to complete. Flexibility is needed to succeed in the program. The degree must be completed within 6 academic years.
  • Where are the clinical classes held? Clinical classes (also called “practicums”) may take place in any of our Bon Secours Richmond hospitals (Memorial Regional Medical Center, St. Mary’s Hospital, St. Francis Medical Center, and Richmond Community Hospital). Some clinicals may be held at MCV, (Medical College of Virginia, part of VCU), in private medical practices, at schools or in community health care settings.


Working Full-time While Attending the College

  • We discourage applicants from applying if they must work full-time (40+ hours weekly) while attending our College. If a student needs to work full-time, this program is probably not the right fit for you. Many students succeed while working part-time. Please note that classes may begin early and end late. Late afternoon clinical classes may run from 3 pm – 11 pm at times. Those who succeed in balancing their studies and other activities are typically very strong students with solid support from family members. They understand the need to focus primarily on their studies, and they know they will have to miss some family and social functions while attending college. Students who work part-time while attending our College usually have support from their employers as well, who give them flexibility with their work schedules. Again, full-time employment is not recommended. Absences from lectures and clinicals will imperil a student’s success.


Typical Class Schedule

  • Every student’s schedule is different. Many of our students will begin with some transfer credits from previous college(s), so they may take fewer classes in a given semester than another student. Once admitted to our College, students will take classes at multiple locations. General Education courses are offered at Reynolds Community College and nursing courses are taken at our location. Clinical classes rotate at various sites around Richmond. Nursing classes/clinicals may begin as early as 7 am; afternoon clinicals may not end until 11 pm.


Financial Aid, Cost and Discounts

  • Do you offer financial aid assistance? Yes, for qualified students. You will complete the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov) to determine your eligibility for federal financial aid. All Title IV programs including the Pell Grant, Stafford Loan and Federal Work Study programs are available. After completing one semester, applications may be submitted for need-based or merit scholarships. Once you have been accepted to the college, you will be able to meet with a member of our financial aid staff who will personally assist you in exploring various financing options.
  • If I am a Bon Secours employee, will I be eligible for a discount? Employees and immediate family members are eligible for a discount on the nursing courses (those course numbers prefaced by NUR.) Immediate family members include spouse, child/grandchild, parent, grandparent, spouse’s parent, legal guardian, sister/brother, or step-parent of an employee.