What is a 1098T form and why did I receive it?

The 1098T form reports information on what you were billed in tuition expenses. All colleges and universities are required by the Internal Revenue Service to provide you with this information.

The 1098T form provides the details that can help you (or your parents/guardians) claim a tax credit for the tuition expense for higher education. 

We have prepared an FAQ for more information on the 1098T form. 

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application that needs to be completed to apply for financial aid during the fall and spring semesters.

The FAFSA can be completed online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. By completing the FAFSA, a student is applying for federal and state aid, including grants and work-study.

The FAFSA asks for tax information. What should I do if I haven't filed my tax return yet?

You may fill out your FAFSA using estimated tax information. You'll have the opportunity to correct this information when you receive the processed Student Aid Report (SAR). It's better to use estimated tax information than risk missing the financial aid deadline.

My parents aren't helping me pay for college. Am I considered independent?

Even if your parents don't contribute money toward your education, you are considered a dependent of your parents unless you:

  • Will be 24 years old before January 1 of the academic year,

  • Are an orphan (both parents deceased) or were a ward of the court until age 18,

  • Are a veteran or currently serving on active duty for other than training purposes,

  • Already have a bachelor's degree,

  • Are married, or

  • Have a legal dependent other than a spouse for whom you contribute at least 50% of the dependent's support.

If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should be used when I'm completing the FAFSA?

  • If your natural parents are separated or divorced, use the natural parent with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months.

  • If you lived with neither parent, or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months.

  • If that parent has remarried as of the date you complete your FAFSA, you must also include the step-parent's financial information on the application, and parent and step-parent should report themselves as married on the FAFSA.

What is an EFC?

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family's financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. Your family's income (taxed and untaxed), assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college or career school during the year.

The information you reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to calculate your EFC. The College uses the EFC to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.

Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes. The FAFSA needs to be completed each academic year. The academic year includes the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

Do I have to complete a separate application for the summer?

Yes. In addition to completing the FAFSA, a summer application must also be completed. The summer application should be available in early March each year. It will be posted on the financial aid website and available in the BSMCON Office of Financial Aid.

How do I apply for student loans?

In order to apply for loans, a Federal Stafford Loan Request form must be completed. The student must have also completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are a first-time borrower at BSMCON, you will also need to complete Entrance Loan Counseling, Financial Aid Awareness session, and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov.

What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?

The Federal Government's deadline for completing the FAFSA is June 30 of each academic year. However, Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing has priority deadlines to ensure the Office of Financial Aid has enough time to process the application before classes begin each semester.

If I have questions about financial aid, who should I contact?

Students should contact the BSMCON Office of Financial Aid at 804-627-5301 or e-mail at bsr-confinancial@bshsi.org for any financial aid questions.

Need Tech Help?

Need Tech Help?

Start A Chat

New Chat