National Student Nurses’ Association
Students at the College have the privilege of joining the National Student Nurses’ Association that entitles them to membership at the state and national levels. Members from all of the participating colleges in Virginia form the Virginia Nursing Student Association. For more information, visit www.nsna.org.
Nursing Honor Society
The Nursing Honor Society celebrates excellence and scholarship in nursing. Following the guidelines set forth by Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, membership is by invitation only to graduating seniors who achieve a 3.00 GPA and rank in the top 35 percent of their graduating class. Induction ceremonies are held twice a year, in May and December.
Alpha Phi Omega - National Service Fraternity
Alpha Phi Omega (APO) is a co-educational national service fraternity founded on the principles of leadership, friendship and service. The mission of APO is to prepare campus and community leaders through service. APO has 360 active chapters on college campuses across the country, with an active membership of more than 24,000 students. The College of Nursing is in the process of establishing a formal charter. Interested students can contact Julie Marsh, advisory chair, for more information.
Student Government Organization (SGO)
The purpose of SGO is to provide the opportunity for students to share their ideas, interests and concerns regarding nursing education with other nursing students in the College. Membership is open to all and participation in SGO affords students the opportunity to develop a sense of responsibility and leadership.
Every student at Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing is a member of the Student Government Organization (SGO).
The purpose of the SGO is to:
- Encourage the highest standards of honor and integrity in all matters of professional and social conduct.
- Provide the opportunity for students to share their ideas, interests, and concerns of education with other students in this college.
- Promote an atmosphere of cooperation, understanding, and communications among the students, Faculty, and Administration.
- Promote programs and community service opportunities of professional interest and concern.
- To promote a supportive, positive learning environment within the college by bringing together students from various levels, fostering involvement in team-building and social activities.
Being involved in SGO provides several benefits, including:
- Gaining professional and leadership experience in a structured organization
- Influencing social or community service opportunities that are available
- Being able to share feedback to administration
- Having a chance to work with administration to affect changes that reflect the student body
- Getting to know other students to build networking for study groups, tutoring and more
Examples of current or previous SGO events/initiatives:
- Blood drives with the American Red Cross
- Off-campus social events
- Community service events, including a canned food drive and participation and collaboration with local marathons
- Spirit Week
- T-shirt design contest
- Student treat/encouragement events, including a mobile coffee truck, Sweet Frog and Valentine's Day treats
Student Government Organization Leadership
Elections are held during the fall semester. Any student can become involved in SGO by volunteering on a sub-committee and helping with events and initiatives.
President: Ashley Dawson
Vice President: Dana Courtney
Secretary: Kelsey Singh
Treasurer: Charlotte Browning
Community Service Chair: Danielle Reed
Social Chair: Katie Biernacki
Legislative Chair: Brooke Hettinger
Communications Chair: Abigail Hennigan
Honor Council Chair: Farwa Mateen
Honor Council Representatives:
Lillian Facka, Jenna Witte, Brittany Ashe
For more information
Contact Jared Crist at Jared_Crist@bshsi.org.