We are here to assist veterans, service members and dependents eligible for VA Education Benefits to achieve their goal of a college degree.
The VA determines your eligibility for benefits. If you are eligible, the School Certifying Official in the Office of Financial Aid will work with you to certify your education benefits.
Using Your GI Bill®
Our Institution is approved to offer GI Bill® educational benefits by the Virginia State Approving Agency. We honor: Chapters 1606, 1607, 35, 30- Montgomery GI Bill®, Chapter 33-Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 31-Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
If you are using any form of the GI Bill®, your enrollment will be certified with the VA electronically once drop/add ends each semester. Your enrollment cannot be certified until all required paperwork has been turned in to the School Certifying Official. Your enrollment will automatically be certified with the VA every semester that you have classes scheduled unless you instruct us otherwise.
To use your Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30) or your Post 9/11 GI Bill®, you will:
- Apply to use your benefits
- Obtain a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs and send it to the College
- Note that this process can take 6-8 weeks
To transfer benefits from another school, you will:
- Complete a VA Form 22-1995 for a Change of Program or Place of Training
- Visit gibill.va.gov to access this form
To transfer your Post 9/11 benefits from an active duty member to a spouse or other dependent, follow these steps:
- The active duty member must be eligible for benefits and must apply for the benefits in his/her own name. This can be done through the VA/DoD eBenefits website.
- After the benefits have been approved for the active duty member, the active duty member must then apply to transfer his or her benefits to a spouse or dependent
- After the transfer is approved, the student who will be using the benefits must apply for the benefits in their name
- Once approved, the student will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in their name. The College will need a copy of this as soon as possible
- Please note that Post 9/11 benefits cannot be transferred once the military member has retired or has been discharged
The Virginia State Approving Agency (SAA), is the approving authority of education and training programs for Virginia.
SAA office investigates complaints of GI Bill® beneficiaries. While most complaints should initially follow the college grievance policy, if the situation cannot be resolved the beneficiary should contact their office via email email@example.com.
Military Tuition Assistance
Each of the armed services establishes tuition assistance rates. A Tuition Assistance (TA) document from the appropriate service may be submitted for payment of tuition at Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing. You are responsible for paying the portion of tuition not covered by the TA, and submission of the TA document signifying that you accept liability for payment of any tuition not covered.
ARMY: You will be responsible for entering the course schedule, class enrollment and other information on the GoArmyEd web portal. Once the classes are approved through the GoArmyEd portal, the School Certifying Official will invoice the military for the classes. Payment will come from the military directly to the College.
State Tuition Assistance
You are responsible for obtaining a tuition assistance payment voucher from your Education Office and submitting it to the School Certifying Official. State tuition assistance may also include an amount for books. Books are not purchased directly through the College. Any book stipends you receive will be either applied to any book advance you may have received or refunded directly to you as a reimbursement for your out of pocket book purchases.
LEARN MORE ABOUT MILITARY & VETERAN TUITION ASSISTANCE
For more information about tuition assistance, contact your Education Office at your base.
MORE HELPFUL INFORMATION FOR ACTIVE-DUTY MILITARY, MILITARY DEPENDENTS AND VETERANS:
- Obtain information and complete the application for benefits here.
- Search for military or military dependent scholarship opportunities here.
(GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at VA.gov.)