Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Constitution Day was created by Congress in 2004 to require that all schools which receive federal funding offer some type of “educational program” on the U.S. Constitution, but it doesn’t define what that should be. Sept. 17 was chosen because it was the last session of the 1787 Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, during which the final version of the newly written U.S. Constitution was signed by 39 delegates.
To accomplish this, Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing and Bon Secours St Mary’s Hospital School of Medical Imaging:
- Provides information related to the Constitution each year
- Developed this website to serve as a 24-hour resource for students using informational tools including sources recommended by the U.S. Department of Education
Ponder Promises of the Preamble
Inspire the young people in your life – in classrooms, courtrooms, and communities – to understand and embrace the preamble to the U.S. Constitution. In this video, high school students interpret the promises and the impact of the preamble on their lives. As a discussion starter the video can stimulate reflection, writing, and civil discourse among teens and adults searching for common ground in the celebration of the Constitution.
Reciting the preamble to the U.S. Constitution in unison has become embedded in the traditions of Constitution Day and Citizenship Day. This video is the words of the preamble to the Constitution, projected at a comfortable pace for easy reading at any group recitation.
Voter Registration Information and Important Deadlines
- September 22, 2020: National Voter Registration Day
- October 13, 2020: Deadline to register to vote, or update and existing registration
- October 20, 2020: Recommended deadline for mailing your absentee ballot.
- October 27, 2020 by 5 p.m.: Deadline to request an absentee ballot (NOTE: Requesting and mailing your ballot well ahead of this due date will insure it is received in time and counted).
- November 3, 2020: November General Election
The deadline to register to vote is 22 days before the election.
Register to vote or check your voter registration status via Vote.org